POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Uh, you mean you people actually work like this? ;-) : Re: Uh, you mean you people actually work like this? ;-) Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:12:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Uh, you mean you people actually work like this? ;-)
From: Txemi Jendrix
Date: 13 Apr 2005 03:55:47
Message: <425cd083@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> In six years of using windows versions of povray, I've got a few habits
> deeply ingrained.  One is that I have long descriptive filenames, which also
> include version numbers, and like a packrat I've stored all the versions
> along the way.  I've stored just about all my work in one honkin' huge
> directory.  I've also highly compartmentalized my character system into
> multiple include files (minimum of four per character) and am working on
> comic book format which puts multiple scenes on an image-- more and more and
> more scene files!   I've also sort of scoffed that people were actually
> typing out povray and remembering a whole bunch of switch codes-- it always
> seemed like Inspector Gadget saying "Go Go Gadget-- raytracer!"
>
> I finally got povray for linux working under knoppix 3.8 and got my first
> taste of povray in linux. I kept clicking on the "povray" icon and "nothing"
> was happening. Then it dawned on me.  Suppose I was to have to type out the
> actual letters p-o-v-r-a-y followed by a filename followed by some switches?
> I started typing out povray and then filenames, and kept misspelling them.
> (Hey, lest you accuse me of non-RFTMming, hey,  the help file in Windoze
> version is most easily accessed through the "application" of povray. I'll
> find it someday)

Povray for linux doesn't have its own gui as windows versions have, but
you have QTPoveditor that is meant to be the gui you are looking for.
I also installed wine and, after that, programs like Poseray, sPatch,
Povray for Windows and Anim8or work fine in linux (thru' wine). I
haven't be able to run Moray or Hamapatch, but maybe someday...
I also have other programs installed on linux like jPatch and PovTree
(you'll need java for these) and Wings3d and KPovmodeler

So maybe the answer to your question is "yes, and I have even more
programs to work with"

Txemi Jendrix
www.txemijendrix.com