POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Uh, you mean you people actually work like this? ;-) : Uh, you mean you people actually work like this? ;-) Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:27:12 EDT (-0400)
  Uh, you mean you people actually work like this? ;-)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 12 Apr 2005 23:14:34
Message: <425c8e9a$1@news.povray.org>
In six years of using windows versions of povray, I've got a few habits
deeply ingrained.  One is that I have long descriptive filenames, which also
include version numbers, and like a packrat I've stored all the versions
along the way.  I've stored just about all my work in one honkin' huge
directory.  I've also highly compartmentalized my character system into
multiple include files (minimum of four per character) and am working on
comic book format which puts multiple scenes on an image-- more and more and
more scene files!   I've also sort of scoffed that people were actually
typing out povray and remembering a whole bunch of switch codes-- it always
seemed like Inspector Gadget saying "Go Go Gadget-- raytracer!"

I finally got povray for linux working under knoppix 3.8 and got my first
taste of povray in linux. I kept clicking on the "povray" icon and "nothing"
was happening. Then it dawned on me.  Suppose I was to have to type out the
actual letters p-o-v-r-a-y followed by a filename followed by some switches?
I started typing out povray and then filenames, and kept misspelling them.
(Hey, lest you accuse me of non-RFTMming, hey,  the help file in Windoze
version is most easily accessed through the "application" of povray. I'll
find it someday)

It's kind of like going to the banquet of the foreign dignitary and finding
out that they really do eat puppies.  I don't mean to start a flame war or
anything, I'm as much poking fun at my computer ignorance as what is likely
your culture, of which it must be said, "Not that there's anything wrong
with that" in true Krameresque fashion.

I would ask.  This setup seems to work great for making a few iterative
changes to a few files, but doesn't at this hour seem conducive to managing
great slews of files in the way Window's  GUI version is capable of.   Am I
wrong? Any tips? Any plans to GUI it?