POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : more leather grain tests : Re: more leather grain tests Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: more leather grain tests
From: Jim Charter
Date: 12 Apr 2005 13:51:24
Message: <425c0a9c@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> Jim Charter wrote:
>
> Looks like pleather or some other fake polished leather. Real leather
> doesn't have the sharp lines (noise) at the edge of the specular due to
> its being covered with pores.
>
> I took some reference shots, three with a highlight and three without.
> Might be useful to you.
> http://www.simcoparts.com/pics/leather
>
>  -Shay

Thanks for those.  I see from your example that the pitting from the
pores and the wrinkly pebbled look can exist simultaneously with each
other. Or in fact the pitting itself can look like pebbling.  If I reach
over and pick up my Mizuno "Power Close" fielder's mitt here, and
examine it's "supersoft one-touch" leather under the magnifying glass, I
can see exactly the deep pitting that your photos exhibit.  But if I
look on the other side of a seam, the pitting is not visible and the
look is more wrinkly-pebbled.  This is also true if I examine the
leather of my Lug boots.  So I wonder if the leather might actually have
two sides, or some other characteristic, which are effected differently
by the tanning.

Either way, neither look as smooth as do the examples I posted so thanks
for the wakeup call.  I can intensify the deepth of the pebbling with
the poly_wave value.  I can introduce pits by tweaking the color map I
suspect.

Attached are two details from the source photo I have.  One is at the
native resolution, the other is resampled and magnified.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'image1.jpg' (25 KB) Download 'image2.jpg' (68 KB)

Preview of image 'image1.jpg'
image1.jpg

Preview of image 'image2.jpg'
image2.jpg