POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : more leather grain tests : Re: more leather grain tests Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: more leather grain tests
From: Jim Charter
Date: 11 Apr 2005 20:01:02
Message: <425b0fbe@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>>Comments and criticism welcome.
>

> I really like the texture around the specular highlights, especially near
> the buckle, looks very photorealistic.  But the "lighter" bit at the bottom
> edges looks wrong, it's all one colour, is this just a reflection of the
> walls?  Too much reflection then IMO, or maybe the walls are too bright, or
> too plain?

I think it is the reflection of the "table" surface.  I really need to
do more experimenting with reflection, I don't really understand how it
works.  I often seems to me that if there is *any* reflection on a
surface, it 1mmediately makes it look like a highly reflective surface.
  Still I no doubt I could reduce the reflection here to some benefit.

I am also not sure why the texture gets washed out in the reflection.
But both of these effects may be present in the world but not really
noticed by us.  For instance it my be that objects are often more
reflective than we perceive them to be.  And that reflection tends to
wash out surface texture to an extent, even though I'd have thought the
opposite.  I have experimented a bit with the blurred reflection devices
too but without satisfactory results.  I guess what I haven't tried is
High aa, but I really can't see how it would have any effect.

Attached is one of my reference pictures for the shoes.  You can see
that the finger and the throw sheet ground are both reflected quite
clearly in the leather.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'img.3964.jpg' (20 KB)