POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : 2005? : Re: 2005? Server Time
1 May 2024 00:58:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2005?
From: andrel
Date: 15 Apr 2005 08:47:37
Message: <425FB760.5010509@hotmail.com>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Shay wrote:
>
>> I made a couple of small, sarcastic jabs which only a handful of
>> people would have even realized were sarcastic (or jabs at all) if
>> Warp had had the sense to keep his mouth shut and not turn this into
>> much much more that it was.
>

> bitter rants is more like it, but, hey what do I know.. I wasn't even
> involved, I've sat on the sidelines here, watched this whole thing boil
> in front of me, and have come to the conclusion that the contest was
> extended because the number of submitted entries was not enough to make
> the prize worthwhile. Nobody was disenfrachised here, no one was being
> dishonest in extending the contest. What is so difficult to accept about
> that?

IMHO this discussion belongs in off-topic (follow up set).

I have had a long discussion with Shay on this. To cut a long discussion
short: the underlying difference of opinion is founded in the believe
whether 'the person who would have won if the deadline was not extended'
exists or not. Shay firmly believes that that person exists, most of the
people that disagree with him find the concept irrelevant and perhaps
even ridiculous. Any discussion with Shay or me to change our minds is
futile as it is too closely tied to other fundamental beliefs.

I did not intend to contribute to this discussion, but since I
apparently just did: I was anticipating a reaction from Shay and
was curious as to how he would do it this time. I found his actual
reaction quite funny. My only objection is that it was not clear
where this reaction came from if you did not have followed all the
preceding discussions that had mainly taken place in off-topic.