POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : bg/specular/roughness and black leather : Re: bg/specular/roughness and black leather Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:24:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bg/specular/roughness and black leather
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 8 Apr 2005 18:30:43
Message: <42570613@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> Jeremy M. Praay wrote:
>> Jaime recently mentioned "diffuse + reflection = 1". [...]
>
> For a long long time I typically adjusted
> diffuse/specular/reflection as some sort of loosely conceived division
> up of a unit whole.

   Now that you mention it, I was just thinking about specular, and also
phong, having the same "relation" with diffuse. Re-reading the part of
the docs about diffuse, seems it accounts for anything that is not
direct light reflection. As specular and phong both simulate reflection
of the light sources, seems that also diffuse+specular or diffuse+phong
should be 1. But we use traditionally specular or phong coupled with
reflection, so I really don't know what to do with all this...

   Oh... I almost forgot about the original post: I prefer 22 or 23,
both look very convincing.

--
Jaime