POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : bg/specular/roughness and black leather : Re: bg/specular/roughness and black leather Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bg/specular/roughness and black leather
From: Jim Charter
Date: 8 Apr 2005 11:08:25
Message: <42569e69@news.povray.org>
Jeremy M. Praay wrote:
> I took a look, then came back later and took another look, and I would have
> to agree with Rick.  #23 looks best to me, especially if you're looking for
> shiny leather.
>

>>pigment { rgb 0 }
>

> I've found that I get better results when I use a very small RGB value,
> rather than 0.  You might want to experiment with that as well.  RGB 0 can
> look very strange when placed with other objects, in my experience.  Perhaps
> something like "rgb <0.001, 0.001, 0.001>" or for a slightly bluish tint
> "rgb <0.001, 0.001, 0.003>"
>

>>diffuse 1
>>reflection { .075 .15 fresnel metallic 0 }
>

> Jaime recently mentioned "diffuse + reflection = 1".  From looking at some
> of his code, it appears that he always uses the first reflection component,
> which would give you a diffuse of 0.925.  Not a huge difference, but it
> might make a subtle difference.
>
> Would the bottom (base?) of the shoe have a different specular component?
>
> Just some thoughts.

I think the diffuse component is irrelevent for rgb 0.  I think it is
basically the product of the two values, rgb and diffuse, and the angle
of the lightray, that are used to calculate shadow.  So if you go rgb 0
you loose all capacity to get non-lighted shadows and instead have to
rely on specular and/or reflection to mold the surface.  So, as you say,
adding a little color gives "diffuse" something to work with.  The
trouble is that just about the time that adding color starts to make a
difference, it starts to look like grey, not black, material.

Yes I remember Jaime's suggestion too, though I thought he was talking
about specular.  I also remember that a long time ago there were often
threads discussing such formulas. Alas, am I now just catching up? Well
not quite. For a long long time I typically adjusted
diffuse/specular/reflection as some sort of loosely conceived division
up of a unit whole.  Then it came as something of a revelation to me
when I freed myself from that discipline.  Now, while Jaime's statement
comes as a sobering remainder to keep it sane, I am still not convinced
that a formulaic relationship between these elements always makes sense.

I was introducing my daughter to raytracing just the other night.  We
were giving a sphere, with no finish specified, different colors just to
demonstrate how the color vector worked.  I was trying to get her to
guess how to get yellow by introducing the concept that yellow is really
not-blue.  So first I had to demonstrate that white is <1,1,1>. We did
the render.  "It doesn't look white, it looks grey", was her immediate
reaction. :(

With a low rgb, radiosity also is neutralized.  So the only way to get
any tones into the shadows is reflection. But even the slightest amount
of reflection gives a hard-shiny look.

About the bottom of the shoe. ("Bottom" is the correct term.) Yes, if it
was made of leather it would show wear and have tan patches.  If not,
then it would be some homogenous material other than leather and
therefore show different surface characteristics.  It is an important
question because it may be true that the solution to the problem has to
do with providing massive amounts of minute surface detail.  After all,
shiny, homogenous, black patent leather is favored by some precisely for
its "dark liquid", form-denying properties.

So the hunt goes on.  But I was interested to peoples reactions to gross
adjustments of these factors across the scene in general.