POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : bg/specular/roughness and black leather : Re: bg/specular/roughness and black leather Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bg/specular/roughness and black leather
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 8 Apr 2005 09:39:39
Message: <4256899b$1@news.povray.org>
I took a look, then came back later and took another look, and I would have
to agree with Rick.  #23 looks best to me, especially if you're looking for
shiny leather.

> pigment { rgb 0 }

I've found that I get better results when I use a very small RGB value,
rather than 0.  You might want to experiment with that as well.  RGB 0 can
look very strange when placed with other objects, in my experience.  Perhaps
something like "rgb <0.001, 0.001, 0.001>" or for a slightly bluish tint
"rgb <0.001, 0.001, 0.003>"

> diffuse 1
> reflection { .075 .15 fresnel metallic 0 }

Jaime recently mentioned "diffuse + reflection = 1".  From looking at some
of his code, it appears that he always uses the first reflection component,
which would give you a diffuse of 0.925.  Not a huge difference, but it
might make a subtle difference.

Would the bottom (base?) of the shoe have a different specular component?

Just some thoughts.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com