POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another World (~500k) : Re: Another World (~500k) Server Time
9 Aug 2024 11:30:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another World (~500k)
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 7 Apr 2005 11:15:33
Message: <42554e95$1@news.povray.org>
>  From that website: 'Reproductions taken out of a book are not
> permitted, as this constitutes a copyright violation of the publisher.',
> but I agree with you.

And pretty far every film says that *no* copies or anything is
permitted. You just view the movie and let no-one else see it.

And softwares tells in EULA when *installing* the *already-bought*
software that you can't do this, this and this and the company who made
the software can check your computer for copied software etc.

Luckily there are laws. Here in Finland, you need to do the contract
_before_ buying the software/film/whatever to make it legal. Artists etc
can't deny copying a CD for own usage (actually, we do pay extra for
every single empty CD,DVD,tapes etc to get copying-to-own-use legal).
For art our laws are tighter, and THEY do deny lots of art-copying
(maybe all, not sure), but the artist can't make this any thighter than
the law. They can give theier work to public and make it _easier_ and/or
_cheaper_ for the consumer; NOT _harder_ and/or _more expensive_.

>> However, the safer bet would be to link to the image, I
>> suppose.

Of this, ABX posted:
-clip-
"Any reproduction of his work, including downloading..."

So the link would be useless ;-)
-clap-

When I enter http://www.mcescher.com/ to my browser, I see this
http://www.mcescher.com/e20home.jpg in the front page, _before_ I can
click "Copyright" to see this: Any reproduction of his work, including
downloading, is prohibited without the express written permission of the
copyright holder.

IF my browser DIDN'T download the image on front page (which is
forbidden by the copyright text), HOW can I see it? It just generated on
my screen? And IF that text really makes downloading _any_ of his work
illegal, I must be a super-criminal to check THIS page:
http://www.mcescher.com/Biography/biography.html (which is actually
provided for me from the SAME people who gets the copyright to my view).

Seriously, almost all of the written-by-creator -copyright are themself
far beoynd the law, trying to be smart and extremely-productive to scare
people. Still I wouldn't post copyrighted image here, but link to that
page just can't be illegal (assuming the image used is somewhere there).

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net