POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MechSim collision question : Re: MechSim collision question Server Time
1 Jun 2024 09:40:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MechSim collision question
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 4 Apr 2005 03:13:43
Message: <4250E9F5.A36A64BA@gmx.de>
Jaap schrieb:

> Can someone tell me more about what might course this
> large force? Is it just that some masses are moved by
> gravity, and are pulling in the not-yet-moved masses?

You have to understand what instability in a numerical simulation
means.  This is nothing about rounding errors or inaccuracy of math
operations.

If you start with very small time steps this won't lead you anywhere
since you will have to decrease them later anyway when you optimize the
simulation to look good.  So if your simulation is instable in the first
run don't use smaller time steps but modify the simulated system.

-- Christoph