POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : to clip or not to clip... : Re: to clip or not to clip... Server Time
1 Jun 2024 06:44:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: to clip or not to clip...
From: Rune
Date: 30 Mar 2005 18:48:55
Message: <424b3ae7$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>  The problem is exactly the same as with antialiasing: Preclipping
> will always produce nice and smooth results (which is what people
> usually want) but subpixel-sized brighter-than-1 details will be more
> or less lost. Postclipping behaves in the exact opposite way:
> Subpixel-sized details will show up, but brighter-than-1 pixels
> will have ugly aliasing artifacts.
>  The former works ok in 99.9% of cases but is still not perfect.

I don't think it's the job of antialiasing to make tiny subpixel bright
stars and the like show up. This is the job of some kind of glare filter
(which however doesn't exist in official POV-Ray, but that's another issue)
that is applied before AA. This is why I find pre-clipping for AA to be
correct.

Focal blur on the other hand should be applied before clipping, since focal
blur, just like glare effects, should be able to make small ultra-bright
spots become large still-rather-bright spots. The problem with artifacts
seem to me to only occur because AA (with clipping after the focal blur but
before the AA) is disabled when focal blur is enabled. I see no reason why
both can't be enabled at the same time.

Wouldn't the problem in Jaime's specific case here be solved if AA and
traditional focal blur (that is, no pre-clipping) could be enabled at the
same time? I'm not sure, but it sounds likely to me at least.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com