POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : benchmarking itanium2 with PGO : Re: benchmarking itanium2 with PGO Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:25:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: benchmarking itanium2 with PGO
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 25 Mar 2005 07:41:17
Message: <424406ed$1@news.povray.org>
> running
> Debian.

	Not necessarily a good idea  ;-)  (private joke)

> I use the following ..
> make CXX=icpc CC=icc CXXFLAGS="-O3 -cxxlib-icc -prof_gen
> -prof_dir=/../../../povray4/povray-3.6.1/profgen1
> -I/../../../povray4/povray3.6.1/libraries/jpeg   " CFLAGS="-O3 -prof_gen
> -prof_dir=/../../../povray4/povray-3.6.1/profgen1
> -I/../../../povray4/povray-3.6.1/libraries/jpeg
> -I/opt/intel_cc_80/include/c++"

	In general, you'd better pass all those flags at configure time,
as giving them to 'make' will override anything that configure has set.
But in this particular context that is not critical.  Only I'm not sure
whether the linker gets the correct -prof_xxx flags here.

> this creates the .dyn files in my prof_dir folder.

	Only when you actually run the binary  :-)
	Note that running configure will also create some .dyn files.  You
should remove them before running povray on your test suite (or at least,
before profmerge will be used to compile the final binary with PGO).
	Also you might need to add other platform-specific flags at the final
compilation pass to better suit your Itanium2; check the icc docs.

> #version
> Parse Error: Expected 'object or directive', undeclared identifier '' found
>  instead

	Assuming your benchmark.pov file was not screwed up somehow, it seems
you indeed have a problem with the binary you compiled.  I have myself prepared
several binaries with icc 8.1 and PGO, similarly as you did, and don't face
such problem.  The only important difference is that I don't use the -cxxlib-icc
flag, i.e. icc links with the gcc libs instead (which is the default behaviour;
in my case these are the 3.4.x gcc libs).
	I'd suggest to try again without the flag (if gcc is installed on your
system) and see whether it solves your problem.  Otherwise I have no idea what
can possibly happen here  :-(

	- NC

PS: just out of curiosity, which version of glibc is installed on your Debian
     distro?