POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : math related image : Re: math related image Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:25:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: math related image
From: James Buddenhagen
Date: 23 Mar 2005 21:21:45
Message: <42422439@news.povray.org>
"James Buddenhagen" <jbu### [at] REMOVEtexasnet> wrote in message
> I'm interested in artistic images with a math flavor.
> Here is a simple one (at this point it has to be simple
> or I can't create it!) which had its inspiration in
> an arrangement Kottwitz found around 1995 for 20 points
> on a sphere whose convex hull consists entirely of
> triangles, and those triangles are as close to equilateral
> as possible.
> --
> Jim Buddenhagen

polyhedron (whose dual was the yellow part of the original picture).
I think the rather large amount of perspective made it hard to
see there were 20 faces.  Anyway, here are the two images.
The one with orthogonal perspective shows the symmetry better.
If I recall correctly there are 4 different edge lengths.
--
Jim Buddenhagen

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '20met_orthog_web.jpg' (54 KB) Download '20met1_web.jpg' (60 KB)

Preview of image '20met_orthog_web.jpg'
20met_orthog_web.jpg

Preview of image '20met1_web.jpg'
20met1_web.jpg