POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shaker [WIP] : Re: Shaker [WIP] Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:25:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shaker [WIP]
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 17 Mar 2005 13:45:22
Message: <4239d042$1@news.povray.org>
"Dave Matthews" <dma### [at] wrmnwestmnscuedu> wrote in message

> These are absolutely phenomenal, although I think that the lighting
> obscures
> some of the incredible detail shown in your earlier oval box render.

Thanks.  I agree that it loses much of the detail of the oval boxes,
unfortunately.  But I may create other scenes which do.  Relatively
recently, I've been toying with the idea of creating a series of scenes,
which many of the same objects, surroundings, etc.  Or maybe not.  I hate
committing to anything.  :-)

> think that sphere_sweeps are about the slowest rendering thing in all of
> POVRay, including isosurfaces (unless you have max_gradient cranked waaay
> up.)  Have you looked at Mike Willams' use of isosurfaces to generate a
> weave pattern (I haven't, so I'm not even sure whether it could be
> modified
> for your use)?  In any event, it looks fantastic.

Do you have a link for the weave pattern?  In my case, I actually "wove" the
sphere sweeps.  There are a few places where they intersect with the other
sphere sweeps, but it's not too noticeable, especially in this case, where
focal blur was used.  I must have been especially motivated when I did the
chair seat.  I even used a sine function to get the proper "dip" in the
seat.  I normally avoid anything more complex than multiplication.  (Well,
it's true!)

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com