POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Porting povray to QNX6 : Re: Porting povray to QNX6 Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:37:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Porting povray to QNX6
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 17 Mar 2005 09:45:09
Message: <423998A3.C84213F3@gmx.de>
Mike Gorchak schrieb:

>  CH> Well - if it's a proprietary QNX system it will most likely not be
>  CH> supported in official POV-Ray (we obviously can't support a platform we
>  CH> don't use ourselves).
>
> Ok. It's sad. Because I must to port it again and again when next version of
> POVRay will be released.

No significant changes have been made to the display routines of POV-Ray
for a long time.  Any display functions that have been written in the
last years (i'd say since version 3.1) will still work with current
POV-Ray (and in fact the SVGA code has not been modified since then.

>  CH> That's just my personal opinion of course and anyway it does not mean
>  CH> it won't be useful to have it as an unofficial extension.
>
> What's mean "an unofficial extension" ?

Any modification of POV-Ray that is not part of the official version.

>  CH> Of course the use of running POV-Ray on a real time OS is limited in
>  CH> general.
>
> Why you think, that it is limited in general ? I don't think so.

The purpose of a real time OS is to have detailed control of task run
times (and the ability to predict them).  This is rather pointless for a
program like POV-Ray since you do not even know how many CPU cycles a
render will take before actually rendering it.

-- Christoph