POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : cylindrical pattern : Re: cylindrical pattern Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cylindrical pattern
From: Jim Charter
Date: 16 Mar 2005 12:32:33
Message: <42386db1$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Attwood wrote:

> ... you just need
> to rotate it for "floors" and "side walls",

No you need to translate if need the origin of the pattern used to
correspond to its native origin in any other context.  I am not
complaining, just pointing out that it is not only the rotate thing that
can fake you out.  The rotation confusion had to do with my own
misunderstanding that the syntax relates to this thing called a
"function image".  I thought it was specifically a variation on height
field syntax and so expected it would work without needing any
manipulation.  That was my mistake.  But the origin being at <0,1,0>
looks truly arbitrary.  Your mind is saying, "Okay, I guess that is just
how it works, so I will compensate."  But at the same time it is also
asking, "But am I misunderstanding something here?  Am I building on a
scaffold of misunderstanding?  Am I doing something wrong which is
causing this behavior?  If I compensate like this will there be even
greater confusion down the line"  Without Rune's post I couldn't answer
that.  Again, once you know what to do it is fine.