POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : cylindrical pattern : Re: cylindrical pattern Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:26:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cylindrical pattern
From: Jim Charter
Date: 15 Mar 2005 14:22:37
Message: <423735fd@news.povray.org>
Marc Jacquier wrote:

>>Also, Why does 'not' the pigment behave like I would expect.
>
> the pigment behaves  like you would expect
> but the image function evaluation is done on the x-y plane not ont the x-z
> plane!
> so you have to follow Slime's advice: either rotate your pattern by x*90 or
> use spherical pattern
>
> Marc

Yes I see that that works except the effect seems to translate by z*1
but I've got to say, for me this is all completely counter intuitive.
Whether I use it for a pigment or for a hf I picture the function, as
described in the docs as a sort of column along the y axis such that any
point on the y xis would return a value of 1, any value at x=1 and z=0
would return 0 for all values of y, etc.  That seems to happen if I use
the function in a pigment whether I rotate or not.  When the pattern is
used in a hf it seems to act like it is a cylinder along the y=-1 axis
that is then rotated?  Forgive me if I am being a pest.  I really am
having trouble picturing this.  But I also had similar misunderstandings
when using the wood pattern.  So I truly believe you guys are all able
to picture something that I am just not getting lol.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'img.1002.jpg' (9 KB)

Preview of image 'img.1002.jpg'