POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : cylindrical pattern : Re: cylindrical pattern Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cylindrical pattern
From: Jim Charter
Date: 15 Mar 2005 14:00:23
Message: <423730c7$1@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
>>function 1000,1000 {
>>F_Terrain(x,y,z)
>>}
>

> This evaluates F_Terrain along the X-Y plane from <0,0,0> to <1,1,0>. Since
> the cylinder goes along the y-axis (which ends up corresponding to the
> z-axis in the height field), the height field only changes along the x-axis.
>
> Two solutions:
>  - rotate your cylindrical pattern to face along the z-axis with rotate 90*x
>  - use the spherical pattern instead of cylindrical
>
>  - Slime
>  [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

 From the docs:
3.5.11.10  Cylindrical
The cylindrical pattern creates a one unit radius cylinder along the Y
axis. It is computed by: value = 1.0-min(1, sqrt(X^2 + Z^2)) It starts
at 1.0 at the origin and decreases to a minimum value of 0.0 as it
approaches a distance of 1 unit from the Y axis.

Also, Why does the pigment behave like I would expect.