POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Renderosity Contest : Re: Renderosity Contest Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:27:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Renderosity Contest
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 13 Mar 2005 14:00:49
Message: <42348de1@news.povray.org>

4233268b@news.povray.org...

> I'm not familiar with submitting artwork for someone else's book. So, I
> don't know if it is common practice to ask the author of some artwork to
> pay for inclusion of his work in a book. I always thought *I'd* get paid
> royalties if someone wanted to use my work... But all things being equal,
> it's crying out "scam" to me. I don't have anything that's even remotely
> worthy of being published, but I wouldn't pay for it if I had.

I think that they just want to keep out as much joke/subpar/noise entries as
possible. Renderosity has a huge following and this contest covers a lot of
ground, from digital photography to 3D. It could become swamped in thousands
of totally useless pictures (family pics, "my first rendering", goatse,
class assignments etc.). Putting a minimal entry fee is probably the only
way to make sure that the entrants are serious about the contest, i.e. that
they actually believe that their work belong to such a book.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com