POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Renderosity Contest : Re: Renderosity Contest Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Renderosity Contest
From: Jim Charter
Date: 13 Mar 2005 10:02:43
Message: <42345613$1@news.povray.org>
The Mad Hatter wrote:
> Submission Fees (non-refundable):
> There is a $20.00 submission fee for the first image and $10.00 for each
> additional image up to 5 (five) total. (Credit Card payments only.)
> (Please understand the panel may select any single image, or combination of
> images. They are not required to select all works from any particular
> submission or artist. There is no guarantee that any of your submitted
> images will be selected. The panel's decision is final and is not open to
> debate. Renderosity and AAPPL will not enter into correspondence about the
> selection process.)
>

> Well that to me sounds a bit scary.  I sense a LOT of users crying because
> they paid fees and never got work published.  One good thing out of this
> though, is kids will not be scammed, since you need a Credit Card just to
> submit. LOL!!
>
> If there is going to be any suckers it will be adults only.

Yes that is exactly how those little art juried shows, that I mentioned,
worked.  They usually published the number of entrants, maybe 2500, of
which maybe 125 will be included in the show.  Entrants payed $0 - $20
to submit one or two 35mm slides of their work.  It was done by mail and
the audience was typically the continental US.  I did it for a couple of
years; anything to get attention, and realistically speaking, it was an
appropriate forum for the conservative little still lifes I was
painting.  I remember that I did some calculation that on average, say
5% of the entrants were selected for any given show, and that I was
included in say 25% of the shows I entered, so I figured that that meant
I was doing better than average.  Silly in retrospect.  Every once in a
while I'd win a small prize or sell a work and that would approximately
cover my fees and mail expenses for the year so I was able to
rationalize the whole thing.