POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP - Classic Trek Interiors : Re: Deck 6 Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:03:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Deck 6
From: Jo Jaquinta
Date: 9 Mar 2005 09:52:05
Message: <422f0d95$1@news.povray.org>
Alf Peake wrote:
> Neat and looks very complicated. I look forward to the animated
> walk-through ;)
Ha ha ha! The cross section took 36 hours to render! I've come up with a
bounded_by for the curved rectangular rooms that will hopefully cut that
down. Also the way the model is designed I can draw only one deck at a
time. So there could be animated walk throughs in the future. I'd love
to do one zooming up and down the central staircases.

> I have not checked your source but wonder if you calculate all 4 walls
> of a room at the same time?
Not necessarily. The basic macros let you choose what perimeter walls to
draw. They are also smart enough to override those to draw interior
walls. It was a little tricky to work out, but I'm a programmer by
profession, not an artist, so it was familiar territory.

For example for the port staterooms, ring one looks like this:
deck_room_stateroom_twodoubles(DECK6_MESS_ANG, 120-a,
DECK6_CORR1_OUTER_RADIUS, DECK6_ROOM12_RADIUS, 1, 0, 2, 1)
// second four parameters = draw left wall, don't draw right wall,
//   draw inner wall with doors, draw outer wall
And ring two:
deck_room_stateroom_quad(DECK6_MESS_ANG+a, 120-a, DECK6_ROOM12_RADIUS,
DECK6_CORR2_INNER_RADIUS, 1, 0, 0, 2, 1, 0)
// second four parameters = draw left wall, don't draw right wall
//    don't draw inner wall, draw outer wall with doors
I.e. the rings are adjacent so ring 1's outer wall becomes ring 2's
inner wall. So it should be reasonably optimal.

 > The floor will also be the ceiling of the cell below.
I have that with the decks too. But I've got a lot more work to do on
putting in ceiling and wall decorations. (The original sets didn't have
ceilings!)

30 years ago? Wow. I can only imagine the impositions on rendering time.
:-)

Cheers,

Jo