POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface with straight,twist,straight : Re: Isosurface with straight,twist,straight Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:04:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface with straight,twist,straight
From: Sebastian H
Date: 7 Mar 2005 12:30:55
Message: <422c8fcf$1@news.povray.org>
Slime schrieb:
>>This worked nicely, thank you. A small tweak in the accuracy and
>>max_gradient and I have this.
>

> Nice. You might even want to use this version:
>
> #local smoothfunc = function(x) {x*x*x*(10+x*(6*x-15))}
>
> Which also matches second derivatives, and will make the transition from
> straight to curved even more invisible.

Nice, how did you calculate it?
Once I made some differential equations
for this problem and solved them.
It was a bit dirty and some paper sheets got lost.
If I remember right the differential equations
for a smooth transition from 0 to 1 were:

f(0) = 0
f(1) = 1

df(0)/dx = 0   # match in first derivative
df(1)/dx = 0

d^2f(0)/dx = 0 # match in second derivative
d^2f(1)/dx = 0

An approximation method aka Taylor or
something which could be used to get a match
in even higher derivatives would be nicer
but when I got f(x) for the second derivative
I forgot thinking about it further.

Sebastian