POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Wednesday Abstract... : Re: Wednesday Abstract... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:01:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wednesday Abstract...
From: St
Date: 3 Mar 2005 18:09:44
Message: <42279938@news.povray.org>
Dave Matthews wrote...

> These are both very interesting, and they are somewhat similar to what I
> get
> as reflection patterns when I combine spherical and flat mirrors (I'll dig
> up an example), so I'm curious, what formula or algorithm did you use to
> place your objects?

   Well, no special formula or algorithm as far as I know Dave. Firstly,
this is the bog-standard isosurface shape used in the insert menu in winPoV.
I played around with it a little and ended up utilising 'open' and then
played with the scale of the 'contained-by' box to cut the corners.

  The whole of the trick in the first image was in the rotation, translate,
(+ - x,y,z alternatively) and scaling, (+.1 of a pov unit in this case), and
simply adding z*z to the fn_x function.

Here's the code that I used:

#declare fn_x = function(x, y ,z) { x*x + y*y + z*z - 1 }
  isosurface {
  function { fn_x(x, y, z) }
  contained_by { box { -.73, .73 } }
  threshold 0.025
  accuracy 0.001
  max_gradient 4
  open

  scale .2

  //translate <+-0, +-0, +-0> alternating per iso.

   rotate <53, 31, 35>  // to get one corner fairly central to the viewer

   texture {...}

> (You notice that you get more comments after you post your images, than
> before ;-) )

    Yes, I'm not sure if I've done that before, but I hope not!  :o)

    Thanks for your input, appreciated. (Please do post your example).

    ~Steve~