POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: The Human Condition - Water/Sand Problem : Re: The Human Condition - Water/Sand Problem Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:02:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Human Condition - Water/Sand Problem
From: Slime
Date: 1 Mar 2005 20:16:56
Message: <42251408$1@news.povray.org>
> I've spent a fair while going through all this, trying to understand it.
> I'm at the point now where I understand it, but it doesn't appear to be
> applicable. All the examples and information refer to bodies of deep
> water whereas my problem comes from an thinning body of water as it
> comes to the sand.

The idea is that, by relying on media to create the watery effect, you get
more of the effect in deeper water and less in shallow water, so that it
becomes more transparent as you look closer to the coast. (Although the
surface ends abruptly, if it's transparent then that doesn't matter - the
interior does not end abruptly and that's what you see.)

Unfortunately, you still have to rely on the surface of the water for
effects like reflection and specular highlights. To make these effects fade
out towards the coast, you can either use variable reflection with a well
positioned camera (so that there is almost no reflection at the coast area),
or you can use a patterened texture which fades between two textures, one
reflective and one just transparent. Then the challenge is to find a good
pattern to do this, but for the simple coast line in your image that
shouldn't be very difficult.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]