POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : new contest (66 kb) : Re: new contest (66 kb) Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:25:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new contest (66 kb)
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 28 Feb 2005 10:49:18
Message: <42233d7e$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message

>> Some ideas, however:
>> HDRI?
>
> Yes, but that is another whole bog to get through and my first encounters
> with it (shoe models) did not meet the success with it that others seem to
> get.  As I was saying to Shay, the whole background/setting problem is
> significant because it really goes to meaning.  I don't think I'll find a
> good answer soon.  I was trying to place it on a table with maybe some
> foliage behind, but it's a meaningless slog for me.  I much more like the
> effect of photo product shots with a color screen behind where the object
> either hovers in space or makes the barest concessions to gravity and
> support.

Ahhh... That makes sense.  I wasn't exactly sure where you were headed.

HDRI is simple to get good results when dealing with reflective objects,
like glass and metal, but using it to light an object where you're used to
specular highlights (or no highlights) can be difficult.  I tried my oval
box in a HDRI scene and wasn't entirely happy, though it's not too bad
(http://www.beantoad.com/newimages/ovalbox-3.jpg).  I'm sure I could get it
looking better if I spent the time, but the "kitchen probe" isn't exactly a
lesson in great lighting either, hence the 3-point lighting experiments
(actually 2 points, plus rad).  And of course, I'm still trying to figure
out how to use LightSysIV effectively.

>> Maybe 3-point lighting?
>>

> Actually I was using something more like that. 2-points I think. This
> render was not originally intended to be shown so the bg is incomplete and
> the lighting purposely stark.  But when the render just went on and on...I
> don't know, I decided to post anyway.  I will learn more self-discipline
> as I learn to work with these long renders I am sure.

Like I said, most of my comments come from what I've been learning myself.
Suddenly, certain things stand-out to me that I never noticed before.  I'm
often hesistant to make suggestions due to "perhaps I'm stating the
obvious."

And never forget my rule of thumb: If it's not under 10pps, then you've done
something wrong... ;-)

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com