POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : new contest (66 kb) : Re: new contest (66 kb) Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:25:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new contest (66 kb)
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 26 Feb 2005 00:33:03
Message: <42200a0f@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message

> Maybe that's why it looks like an overbaked brownie.  It's trying to tell
> me something.

I knew I never should have made the brownie reference.  :-(

Glad to see your returning to pure CSG, and better yet, to iso-surfaces and
leaving behind your evil meshes.  (Totally joking.  I have very dry humor, I
know...)  ;-)

I'll attempt to be more serious now.  It looks quite a bit better than your
previous versions.  The streaks down the sides of the "hump" add quite a bit
of detail to it.  Other than perhaps varying the texture (colors/pigment) a
bit, I can't think of anything which would add more detail to it.  You've
nailed the surface quite well.  However, those brighter spots on the leg in
shadow don't look right to me.

Some ideas, however:
HDRI?
Maybe 3-point lighting?

Well, those are things that I've been playing around with lately, and I've
had varying degrees of success.  I think 3-point (studio) lighting might
really work well for this, if you are interested in showcasing the boli.  It
seems to look best when you have interestingly curved surfaces like that.
Then you can get that render time closer to 71 hours... ;-)

--
Jeremy from his Michigan cabana
www.beantoad.com