POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Why I won't enter PoVComp again. : Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again. Server Time
2 Jun 2024 06:57:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again.
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 25 Feb 2005 11:03:17
Message: <421f4c45@news.povray.org>
news:421f3f60@news.povray.org...

>> In an impossible to achieve hypothetical situation, if there were 3
>> identical images where one consisted completely of 3rd party models
>> (purchased or free), one consisted of models the author created using a
>> modeller, and one consisted only of CSG (nothing external to POV-Ray),
>> should the latter not score highest in competition to show the full
>> potential of POV-Ray?
>
>  A fourth entry using imported models and other POV-Ray primitives in
> a creative and skillful way would have probably be the strongest
> candidate. Curious that you didn't give this as an option at all.

Good point.  I guess I just didn't want to make the example overly
complicated.  POV-Ray does meshes.  A CSG-only entry does not show this
fact.  So, something with CSG and meshes (all other things being equal)
would probably show off more features of POV-Ray than a CSG-only entry, or a
mesh-only entry.  I get it.  I think some of these frustrations go beyond
POVCOMP, but some of the crass comments reinforced certain fears/anxiety
that many of us had.

This was really just a small competition.  The big prizes made it seem like
it was more than it really was.  In essence, the prizes dwarfed many of the
other aspects.  Minor blunders became huge blunders.  Minor nit-picks became
huge nit-picks.  The participants were elevated to a level of which they
were not at all accustomed.  Perhaps the same could be said of the judges.
We were amateurs competing for professional-level prizes.  Many may have had
unrealistic expectations, given their inexperience.  It has exacted a
toll... Or many small tolls, perhaps.  I never saw it coming.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com