POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Why I won't enter PoVComp again. : Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again. Server Time
2 Jun 2024 07:44:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again.
From: emkaah
Date: 25 Feb 2005 10:44:55
Message: <421f47f7$1@news.povray.org>
Jeremy M. Praay wrote:
> So...  If you want to compete, it becomes like running the New York
> Marathon.  Do all 30,000 people really think they might win?  Certainly not.
> They do it because it's there, they enjoy finding out what they are capable
> of.  They enjoy seeing someone else win.
>
> As I stated in off-topic recently, I think most of us here would be happiest
> if we simply got a free poster from Zazzle for a top finish.  That creates
> much less pressure, and in the end, I think there would be more POV-Ray
> art/renders/stuff to show.  Perhaps POVCOMP "overachieved" in regards to
> prizes.  It certainly squeezed out some good stuff, though, so my point is
> debatable.

Why can't you enjoy the competition with a top prize? I don't know if
*most of us* would like a competition with simply a free poster for the
winner. Although it is healthy to set your goal realistically (a place
in the top 10 or top 20, for example), a big prize gives a good
incentive to give it your best (top 10 would be ok, but winning is
better:) ). Winning a competition where judging is involved mostly
incorporates a bit of luck anyway (although in POVcomp the winner is
apparent, in most competitions the top five can be very close).

As you say most people enjoy the New York Marathon, while there are
hefty prizes to win.

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/prizemoney.html

So, I repeat, why can't you enjoy POVcomp with a top prize?

-Em