POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Why I won't enter PoVComp again. : Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again. Server Time
2 Jun 2024 07:14:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again.
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 25 Feb 2005 08:23:49
Message: <421f26e5@news.povray.org>

news:421f19b4@news.povray.org...

>   The animal shown in the winner image can probably be made in 10 minutes
> with a graphical nurbs modeller by someone experienced. As such it would
> have not shown any talent nor dedication at all.

Hmm, don't fan the flames here. Using a modeller is difficult, and it
requires a nice amount of talent and dedication to be (finally) able to
churn out a model like this in 10 minutes.

>If the entire ship had been a mesh created in another program, there
wouldn't
>have been anything impressive about it (at least without knowing how
exactly it
>was done; if it was done just by moving vertices around with the mouse then
>there's nothing impressive in that; it would have been a "cheap" way of
doing
>it, regardless of how long it took to move all the vertices with a mouse).

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a "cheap" way of modelling complex
objects by just moving vertices around. The concept of modellers being
somehow miracle tools is just an oft-repeated legend somehow popular in
POV-Ray circles (along with the
"miracle-plug-in-that-does-everything-in-the-blink-of-an-eye" one). I guess
every 3D artist out there wishes that the legends were true, but the reality
is that (mesh/Nurbs/SSS) modelling is *** very *** hard work. I'm very much
a beginner after a year of modelling stuff in C4D and it's a very
user-friendly app.

If Johnny Yip had done the ship with a modeller it would still be a superb
modelling effort.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com