POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : new contest (66 kb) : Re: new contest (66 kb) Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:03:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new contest (66 kb)
From: Jim Charter
Date: 24 Feb 2005 13:01:36
Message: <421e1680@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> Jim Charter wrote:
>
> That texture is incredible, and the switch to mesh was definitely for
> the better.

Not mesh, iso's w displacement pattern.  That is really the answer to
your question from before, "Is there something symbolized by using
blobs"  The answer is that iso-blobing is where this is all headed, in
order to apply real displacement.

Don't like the table.

And it took up a lot of time even if it is using isowoods.  My heart
really isn't in it to be honest, but I did make some technical
discoveries by examining and learning to use CHristoph's macros. More
along the lines of how to use paterns to perturb the form and get the
other patterns to follow the perturbations. I haven't yet come up with
the display solution for these studies, which means I can't put them in
context, which really means that I haven't yet realized what their
meaning to me really is.

> An interesting(?) idea I had during the last boli discussion was the
> concept of a modern boli. A massive concrete bull idol covered with
> decades of exhaust fumes, graffiti, concert posters, and pigeon crap.

Yes, yes, indeed, drawing connects between primitive magic and modern
context is a well mined vein, but one I find I am being drawn along
never-the-less.  Was browsing the library yesterday looking for books on
African objects when I found I was engrossed instead by a picture book
of Leonard Baskin sculptures.  Never dislked Baskin but always took him
at arms length.  Later on he did endless prints of native americans
which was cool but got kinda the same.  The earlier stuff was just
everything modernism hated with its seeming attempt to appropriate
gravitas by quoting classical art and mythology.  But now his vision
looks a lot more interesting to me.