POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Oval Box : Re: Oval Box Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oval Box
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 15 Feb 2005 14:24:44
Message: <42124c7c@news.povray.org>
"Tim McMurdo" <jod### [at] wohrrcom> wrote in message
> Excellent work.

Thanks!  :-)

> My father and I have made hundreds of these from size 000 to
> 9. The wood is excellent.
>
> On those that we make, the pins holding the top and bottoms inside their
> respective bands are made of wood. Also, the small nails used to form the
> bands are copper.
>
> Those are just nit picking, because I think you work is fantastic.

I have a couple of books that I used for reference photos, both of which had
lots of new boxes, as well as Shaker antiques.  I tried to create a box that
looked the way a new box may have appeared circa 1850's.  To do that, I
combined some things from the old and the new.  I did notice that most (or
at least some) of the new boxes used the wooden pins, but most of the older
boxes used metal tacks, as far as I could tell.

Some quick Googling makes me think you're right about the copper tacks.  I
should change to a copper color.  Also, I see a lot of antique boxes with
what appear to be wooden pins/tacks for the fingers.  I wonder if their
methods switched at some point.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com