POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Oval Box : Re: Oval Box Server Time
9 Aug 2024 11:26:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oval Box
From: Jim Charter
Date: 14 Feb 2005 20:43:47
Message: <421153d3$1@news.povray.org>
Jeremy M. Praay wrote:
> "Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message
>
>>Jeremy M. Praay wrote:
>>
>>>UV-mapping?  Blasphemy!  ;-)
>>>
>>>It's all procedural.
>>
>>Okay ;) I would have thought it odd if it wasn't but I just wanted to be
>>sure.  I think to be fair, if you use the hf_cylinder macro you are using
>>a type of uv mapping implicitly, in the sense that a uv space is being
>>projected, which is what I meant.
>

> Ahh.  Ok, then.  I'll forgive the heresy.  ;-)
>
> I actually looked at the hf_cylinder macro, and it scared me, so I simply
> used a isosurface-pigment-image_map-thing.  I have no idea how to refer to
> it, but it's something I've used before, so it was easy to adapt.  I think
> Christoph Hormann does something similar in some of the iso_csg library
> macros (IC_HF_Cylinder).

Okay, so you are doing the thing I couldn't picture.  I'd forgotten
about the IC_HF_Cylinder() macro in iso_csg. ( It does tend to confuse
the term heightfield or hf which I normally would use to mean mesh. )
My mistake.   So that makes my reference to UV space implicit only in
the fact of the image_map keyword and that's about it.  I'll shutup now.

> I should probably restate that.  I had a cylinder for the box, then I
> created the fingers by differencing cylinders (turned 90 degrees) from a
> cylinder (the same size as the box) and then unioning the box-cylinder with
> the differenced (fingers) cylinder and translating the differenced one
> slightly -z, so that the fingers would stick out.  But then I realized that
> rounding the differenced parts was nearly impossible, and without some
> rounded edges on the fingers, it just didn't look right, so I gave up on
> that, and turned to heightfields, which up to that point, I hadn't used.
>
> To be technically correct, the rounded edges (on top of the lid) which you
> see now are actually the Round_Cylinder_Union.
>
> I think I'll add the source to the pov-ray wiki, though I might want to
> clean it up a little bit first.

Yeah, after I posted I realized what you meant.  Duh.