POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: Dire Passage : Re: Dire Passage Server Time
9 Aug 2024 11:22:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dire Passage
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 13 Feb 2005 03:55:01
Message: <420f15e5$1@news.povray.org>
"John D. Gwinner" <joh### [at] cornelledu> schreef in bericht
> Wow, very nice.
>
> In the spirit of offering something constructive ... would it be possible
> move the 'foam' more to the top of the crests?  At first I thought it was
> somewhat disjointed from the waves, but that does happen in real life.
Not
> sure exactly what to change, it's far better than anything I've seen
lately
> but it does seeom to me there should be more white on the crests.
>
> With all that work on the ship it's a shame we can't see it, but the
framing
> suits this photo perfectly.
>
> Framing something is as important as the modeling (or more so) so perhaps
> another image for the detail on the ship.  I like the picture very much as
> is.
>
> More rope might help, I wasn't adverse to the textures though.
>
> Again, please don't take these comments as complaints, very nice photo as
> is.
>
>         == John ==

Thank you indeed, John, your comments are very much appreciated!
Concerning the foam... This is a problem still that I have not solved.
Although the present scene can happen in real life, I agree that there is a
feeling of wrongness about it. I am not sure to be able to solve it (see
thread: Foam over isosurface, in p.b.i. and p.b.s-f)
The ship has a lot of details but would not stand up to close scrutiny. It
works best in the background or the middle foreground. One problem is the
whole set of running ropes that I have not (yet) modelled (the standing
ropes have been though). The ras and sails can be turned to the wind, but I
cannot inbed the splines in CSGs. So, for the time being, they are left out.
At a distance, this does not matter because they would be invisible anyway.
On the wrecked mast, though, more ropes are certainly possible, as well as
some canvas remains....

Thomas