POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Boli (29 Kb) : Re: Boli (29 Kb) Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Boli (29 Kb)
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 7 Feb 2005 15:55:42
Message: <4207d5ce$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message
> The ultimate intention is to do it with isoblobs and real displacement
> based on the texture.  In fact I first modeled the figure in isoblobs
> using iso_csg,  and I do have an early render with a displacement using
> a granite texture (attached),  but I switched to regular blobs and
> normals for development purposes.  I tried one overnight render with
> this complex texture but I was very slow.  I was using the adaptive max
> gradient like a good little doobie which is probably why.  I expect I
> can get good results cheating on the max gradient but it will still be a
> long render so I am trying to put together a little nicer setting to go
> along with it.
>
> Here is some picture of Boli
> http://www.hamillgallery.com/BAMANA/BamanaBoli/BamanaBoli04.html
>

> Here the fissures have more of a crevice quality which should be a
> relatively easy effect.  The one I was studying in the Metropolitan
> Museum, however, shows more of a flaking effect with the edges at the
> cracks scalloped outward more.

Googling also gave me this link, if you're interested in other photographic
references: http://www.randafricanart.com/Henfrey_Boli.html.
I can see both types of surfaces here.  Judging from these (at the bottom of
the page, esp.), your attempt at the texture of the surface seems really
good.  Is that one from the MMOA the same one that you were looking at (near
the bottom of the page)?

The texture of your original also makes me think of brownies.  It seems to
be a great multi-purpose surface texture: paint coming off walls, desert
mud, etc.  I may have to play around with the code you supplied.  :-)

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com