POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Furry Fellow Fight Club : Furry Fellow Fight Club Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:26:24 EDT (-0400)
  Furry Fellow Fight Club
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 6 Feb 2005 17:38:49
Message: <42069c79@news.povray.org>
I've been hacking away at the Sc2Hair-Macros and those that follow my posts
know that I've come across the hideous "macro that won't return it's values
properly" bug, which will be fixed in the next update of 3.6. Thorsten was
so kind to point me to older threads and I found there that I could use 3.5
to avoid this bug, so lately I've installed 3.5 and 3.6.1a...

Anyways, with 3.6 sometimes a hair will stick out at random, as some of its
properties don't get changed when the macro is called and the bug kicks in.
Thus, this scene was rendered with 3.5

So, what I did was take two of my furry fellows and pose them. I cut off the
legs and sample the remaining mesh with my Surcoat-Macros. I then use the
Surcoat2Hair-Macros to place hairs onto the samples.

For the flying fellow, I've added some wind into the hair-description. The
length of the hair just depends on the height of the hairbase, a very crude
approach to create longer hair on the top and shorter on the bottom, but it
works in this case.

For the kicking fellow, the hair is just short, as I didn't have time yet to
devise a nice macro which will lengthen the hair for this pose.

During the production I've found that the entire process can become quite
tedious if you want to add lots of detail like certain lengths in specific
areas, certain colors in certain regions, etc. Then again, this is POV-Ray,
not some Mouse-Driven App. :-)

Seeing the macros as a whole, I guess their best use is for fur, as you can
just quickly slap thousands of hairs onto an object with the Surcoat- and
Sc2Hair-Set. For actual hair-like effects, some more work is required, and
because of the limited scope of such Handwritten-SDL-Macros (and the
complexity of how to use them properly) I don't think that much more than
very simple hairstyles will pop up.

Ah well, I had fun writing this, and will probably use Sc2Hair instead of
Fur-Simulating-Textures the next time an animal pops up. :-)

Regards,
Tim

PS: The release is planned for sometime this week, after I've written the
few remaining macros and the Help.

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>