POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Laying cables : Re: Laying cables Server Time
3 Sep 2024 08:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Laying cables
From: Ekki Plicht
Date: 5 Feb 2005 16:47:25
Message: <42053eec@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams wrote:

> Wasn't it Ekki Plicht who wrote:
>>I have a scene where I have two points in space which I want to connect
>>with a cable. The points are (can be) absolute random in space, the
>>orientation from which direction the cable enters the point is also
>>random.

Thanks for the help, also to Bernard.

To illustrate what I am looking for please see povray.binaries.images,
"Antennas & missing cable".

The routine you posted gave me some ideas, but I still don't get it.

What I need is a cable connecting the two bright red cable ends already
shown in the picture. The vectors of these points are known, but as you can
see they are neither in origin nor in the same plane.
The cable should go from the vertical part still somewhat lower, then gently
curve upward until horizontal and join the other end. Later on a second
similiar cable is to be added to the other side.

My guess is I need something like a 3/4 circle, slightly bent out of a
plane. Something like a small part of a spiral. Now I know how to make
spirals (I think), but how do I tell it which two points to join in what
direction?

Thanks,
Ekki