POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Laying cables : Re: Laying cables Server Time
3 Sep 2024 08:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Laying cables
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 4 Feb 2005 19:02:21
Message: <42040d0d$1@news.povray.org>
> I know I can use a sphere_sweep in general, but how do I calculate the
> points to follow from one point to another?

Well, I've never really used sphere_sweeps or the internal splines at all.
Once I wrote my Bezier-Spline-Macros for 3.1g or such, I've used them ever
since. I find the bicubic bezier-splines easy to visualize. If you want to,
just have a look, it's on my webpage in the downloads-section:
http://www.nolights.de

Still, splines are generally just a method of somehow interpolating a set of
points to a smooth curve. In your case, you might want to convert the
directions to points, e.g.
Starting_Point, Starting_Point+Direction_1, End_Point, End_Point-Direction_2

Plug those four points into an appropriate spline, and there you go! Well,
okay, that's just a very rough outline, but that's basically what you need
to do if you want to use POV-Ray's splines.

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"