POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Withdrawing .. darn it : Re: Withdrawing .. darn it Server Time
28 Apr 2024 22:42:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Withdrawing .. darn it
From: John D  Gwinner
Date: 3 Feb 2005 21:44:10
Message: <4202e17a$1@news.povray.org>
> Frequent releases also teach how long a render takes.

Actually, I *was* doing that.  What I wasn't doing was the 2 'detail'
images, as I had been doing close ups of the detail shots in other renders,
so I didn't need to preview those.  The net result is that I was well aware
of how long a render took, but the backup image wouldn't have met the
requirements.

As I noted in the original, due to a versioning mismatch, the photon times
suddenly shut up dramatically the last day, but that's an integration issue.
Like all integration issues, proper planning from the start would have
corrected that, so of course it's my screwup.  *so* much went wrong at the
end there was only so much I could do.  Of course, I could have done better.

  The image is part of a series for a book I'm writing so it will live
again, however.

> This is a "best practice" in software engineering.

  Right.  I've signed checks (authorized funds) for 16 million for software
projects.  (no kidding).  You?  :)

        == John ==