POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Help With Textures... Or Lighting... Or Something! : Re: Help With Textures... Or Lighting... Or Something! Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help With Textures... Or Lighting... Or Something!
From: Jim Charter
Date: 3 Feb 2005 10:36:36
Message: <42024504$1@news.povray.org>
Cyrano wrote:
> Thank you for the suggestions regarding the Thai statue.
>
> I did try a few of the textures from stones.inc including T_Stone12 (I like
> that texture and probably use it more often than I should.) The grain in
> those textures seemed to hide the details of the statue somehow.
>
> Attached is an example of what one of my attempts at a granite texture did
> to the details. Yikes!
>
> I'm starting to wonder if the statue should have a soft stone texture with a
> relatively small range of color... Are any such textures predefined?

The example I posted was quite harsh but obviously you can make it softer

Either scale it up  to get he soft cloud-like look that granite can give
or way down to give a very fine speckled look

What made my example so harsh was the choppy pigment map in the original
function:

                         pigment_map {
                                 [ 0 rgb 0 ]
				[ .4 rgb 1 ]
				[ .6 rgb 0 ]
                                 [ 1 rgb 1   ]
                         }
which alternates shapely between black, "0",
and white, "1"

the use of turbulence,

and the heavy applicaton of the normal in the actual texture:

         normal {
                 function {
                         F_Granite(x,y,z).gray*.4
                 }
         }

the ".4" multiplier looks very rough for the small scaling
I used in the original function, ".2"

But all this is also relative to the scale of your model so there
is not always a predefined thing that will work without tweaking

The straight granite texture scaled to 1 or greater should usually give
a soft cloud-like look  Soften it further when you apply the colours.
Remove the normal or use only a small multiplier.
try this:

         #declare F_Granite =
         function {
                 pigment {