POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Help With Textures... Or Lighting... Or Something! : Re: Help With Textures... Or Lighting... Or Something! Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:25:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help With Textures... Or Lighting... Or Something!
From: Jim Charter
Date: 1 Feb 2005 19:17:25
Message: <42001c15$1@news.povray.org>
Cyrano wrote:
> I have been trying to render the "Thai Statue" from the Stanford 3D Scanning
> Repository (http://graphics.stanford.edu/data/3Dscanrep) and have been
> failing miserably.
>
> Attached is a portion of the statue with the default "insert finish"
> properties (You REALLY don't want to see some of my initial attempts at
> finding a better texture!) I am looking for suggestions concerning better
> textures, lighting, etc to bring out the details and make the statue more
> photorealistic.
>
> I apologize in advance for such a vague and fuzzy request.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cyrano

Did you try some of the standard stone textures?  Often good to get some
ideas.

You are usually safe trying a granite texture to start. ( That model
brings a marble texture to mind also. )

If you want the pigment and the normal to match up you can do something
like this:

#declare F_Granite =
function {
         pigment {