POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Do trials by jury make sense? : Re: Do trials by jury make sense? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:16:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Do trials by jury make sense?
From: Stephen
Date: 28 Apr 2008 10:00:56
Message: <41mb14tvckhcgrt0n9v9erprfk8jtjpdcd@4ax.com>
On 28 Apr 2008 09:42:07 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>Stephen <mcavoysAT@aoldotcom> wrote:
>> You don't really get the point about being tried by a jury of your
>> peers, do you?
>
>  I, once again, would like to make the comparison: If there's a crime
>in progress, would you prefer experienced trained police officers to
>handle it, or a lynch mob of random people?

Two different things, Warp. Yes, I would prefer professional police at
the crime. But if I were to stand trial for a crime I would like to be
judged by people like me not professional jurists. Nor by a jury that
has been vetted for the correct opinions as is done in some countries.
Just a random selection from the local area seems quite fare in an
unfair world.
Have you ever been on a jury? I have and it was interesting.

>  The lynch mob may consist of "my peers", but they do not have the proper
>education, training nor experience to handle these things properly (ie. to
>make sure that suspects are secured and innocent people protected).

That is why we have the police and we don't judge until after the
offence. Except for terrorism, then all bets are off.
--

Regards
     Stephen