POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Locked door [76K] : Re: Locked door [76K] Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Locked door [76K]
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 1 Feb 2005 04:10:30
Message: <41ff4786@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
>> As it ... I expend some time "proceduralizing" them.
>
> Here's the best part, and you just glossed over it. Share more about how
> you "proceduraliz[ed]" the photos.

   Sorry, I was to explain it on the first post, but when I was
finishing the first paragraph I had to leave the house... damn
customers! Anyhow, here is the pending explanation:

   In the case of the rusted metal, I made two textures from it, one
with a bit of specular and other with reflection, using the same image
also for the bump_map pattern.

   Then I used a grayscale version of the image (using a function and
".gray") to act as pattern for a texture_map, which blends together both
finishes (that's a sort of "finish_map"). The pattern uses a scaled
turbulence (<.01,.01,1>) to hide a bit the planar mapping on the base
textures. I made two versions of this texture_map: for the most polished
parts I used a smooth map, while for the rusty parts the map changes
more abruptly and exposes only a little the reflecting texture.

   And for the wood I simply used "filter all .9" on the image_map,
placing another layer bellow with a standard wood texture. This allows
to change the overall tone of the wood, maintaining the look of the
photographic texture. I later applied this also to the metal texture, so
I can change the coloring of the metal too (copper, bronze, iron,
etc...). I'm thinking now it would be nice to do a "Proceduralize()"
macro...

> photo reel.

   Thanks, that's what I was trying to test: how easy it is to achieve
photorealism by using photographic textures.

--
Jaime