POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : How important... : Re: How important... Server Time
2 May 2024 16:13:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How important...
From: Lance Birch
Date: 1 Feb 2005 00:38:53
Message: <41ff15ed@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:41fc449d@news.povray.org...
<snip>
>      Yes, thank you Lance. The word 'acceptable' for the detail views, is,
> in my opinion, subjective in contrast to the original, 'main', image.
Since
> the start of this competition, I've been thinking 'poster' in a commercial
> sense as this is the intended result of this comp. That's not a problem
for
> me, but I think a few more people out there may have had the same results
as
> I had - ie, crap detail views. But that's not to say that their image
isn't
> fantastic, and their expectations may be high in what they've achieved as
> far as their 'main' image is concerned?
>
>   Hey, I've given it my best shot, and can't wait to see what others have
> done. I already commend them if they've been through the same as me, and
I'm
> sure they have.

I can't wait to see the images either, it should be a lot of fun!

>   Less than two days to go now...  ;)

And less than two and a half hours now!

>      Yes, I agree, but one contestant could have a **fantastic** skull in
> one, dark, corner, *and* two great close-ups of that skull, but what do
the
> judges want? They don't want a poster of a skull in a corner because the
> model is *brilliant* and modeled in csg/sdl - it just won't cut it imo as
> commercial poster. (But then, who knows?!)

The detail views are, in my mind, more of an additional gauge - as each
image is different, how each detail view is taken into consideration with
respect to the main image, will be different.

>   And I respect your opinion, you know that. My image 'is' rendered from
the
> same source file, using sdl, (repeated four times now in my image, (158
> .incs, 1,992 files, 4 folders)), but I've missed two minor objects out in
my
> code on the second unit. <sigh> I'm just wondering whether it's 'worth'
the
> effort of another ten hours, that's all. I'm beat, and I just want to
enjoy
> modeling/rendering again.

Heh - ah the perils of being a raytracer'er ;)

>  <delay since typing this>
>
>    Anyway, I've uploaded now. Good luck if you've entered Lance, ('speak'
> you soon now that my machine is free). Good luck all.

Indeed, good luck to everyone!  With just a couple of hours to go there's
still time to get an entry in - hopefully everyone will be able to get their
entries in.

I won't be entering.  When I first heard about the competition I thought
"what a cool idea!", especially considering the great prizes and the
possibility of promoting POV-Ray to the wider online community, but as much
as I would have liked to have entered there were a number of factors that
made it impossible:

a) I would never have found the time to create an entry!  I've just been too
busy with other things.
b) More importantly, I knew about the competition several months before it
was publicly announced, so although I knew nothing more than a few details
about what the prizes were going to be, simply knowing about the competition
would have given me an unfair advantage.  Although I started sketching image
ideas inspired by the thought of the competition, I never had any intention
to create an image from those ideas that would be entered (perhaps some day
I'll finish those ideas).  Very early on I resigned myself to the fact that
I wouldn't be able to enter.
c) Most importantly now, the rules prohibit me from entering.

Good luck everyone, 2 hours 22 minutes to go!  Woo!  :)

Lance.

thezone - thezone.firewave.com.au
thehandle - www.thehandle.com