POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Furry Fellow #3 (WIP) : Re: Furry Fellow #3 (WIP) Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:27:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Furry Fellow #3 (WIP)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 30 Jan 2005 21:25:12
Message: <41fd9708$1@news.povray.org>
> How difficult to apply deformations to the hair assemblage such as
produced
> by the wearing of a hat; head band; ribbon; etc. ?

Eh... Depends on your skill level and the object's properties. Is it a
function? A mesh? If you find a way to derive a new orientation for a hair
from the hair's position & normal and the object in question, then you
should be able to do that very efficiently with the macro.
If you can apply more general rules, things get more simple. If you can say
"above y=5 just spread the hair outwards", you can check for this in the
macro and properly adjust the normal.

Note that the hair features no collision detection (that wouldn't be
possible to simulate in feasible time), so you might run into problems with
objects that are meant to obscure the hair...

As for ribbons: no such thing. You'd have to rely on more traditional
methods, e.g. placing no hairs where a pony-tail begins, and instead, place
hair-like tubes towards the knot-point, place a ribbon, and from there
outward place a few dozen hairs. The entire concept of covering an object
with hair isn't very flexible in POV-Ray, especially when considering memory
and time constraints (sure, I could write an include which simulates
thousands of hairs, but then again, who'd want to wait a few days for a
*test-render*?). So it's just static, conic meshes glued onto the surface.

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"