POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : stream output handling pb : Re: stream output handling pb Server Time
1 Jun 2024 09:38:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stream output handling pb
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 26 Jan 2005 12:11:43
Message: <41f7cf4f$1@news.povray.org>
> 	I'm working on a povray frontend called Truevision

	Hi, this is the wrong group to discuss about interfacing with
povray at this level (command-line).  Your post would be better suited
in p.unix, so I followup to there.

> 	_ option +GA to redirect stats to a first pipe ( opened with mkfifo and option
NONBLOCK )

	Beware that the stream redirections do not work well in 3.6.1.

> 	_ a console redirection '&> ' to a second pipe ( opened with mkfifo and no option )

	The &> syntax will only work on csh-based shells.  For all the other
shell familly (at least sh/bash and possibly zsh, ksh as well) you should use
the 2> syntax in this case.

> I feel povray does not flush its streams before starting to wait for user click...
Any idea to workaround this ?

	The stats cannot be flushed until the very end of the rendering, as they
include wall-clock time information.  Normally stderr (that you get with &>) is
not buffered, so you should get its content without delay.  Most likely the pipe
itself induces input buffering (it makes your connected process read from stdin,
which is buffered).

	- NC