POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Need help with render... fast! : Re: Need help with render... fast! Server Time
16 Apr 2024 01:17:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need help with render... fast!
From: David Wallace
Date: 24 Jan 2005 12:32:25
Message: <41f53129@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
>>I seems that I have created an image that my computer cannot render.  It
>>requires more memory than my computer can address, even with a swap file.
>>This is the second time this has happened--my computer croaked on my
>>October 2001 entry and I still cannot render it.  I have a Barton 3200 XP
>>with 1 GB DDR running under Win2K Pro SP4.
>

> If 1 GB isn't enough, you'll probably have a hard time finding someone who
> does have enough to help you out. Your best bet, especially at this point,
> is probably to reduce the complexity of your scene. Here are a couple tips
> off the top of my head:
>
>  - Radiosity or photons (especially media photons) might be taking up a lot
> of memory. If disabling them reduces memory usage significantly, then you
> might try reducing radiosity quality or photon count. If you're using media
> photons, try removing them entirely and creating some sort of density
> instead to simulate the effect.
>  - Copies of complex CSG objects take up a lot of extra memory (5 copies of
> a CSG object = 5 times the memory), but copies of mesh objects don't (5
> copies of a mesh = just slightly more than 1 times the memory). If you have
> many copies of CSG objects, try to make mesh versions which look similar and
> replace the far-away copies with the meshes. You might even try rendering
> images of them and using image_maps in the far distance. (If CSG objects are
> the problem, then you'll probably run out of memory *before* the scene
> begins rendering, during parse time.)
>
> If you know what's causing the crazy memory usage, then tell us and we may
> be able to give you some more specific advice. Good luck.
>
>  - Slime
>  [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Biggest memory hog -- heightfields (the images alone are 100 MB)

Next hog -- bird meshes (each is unique, 183x73 grid resolution)

After that, lava (28,000 small isosurfaces, some with media steam plumes)

Then, plants (25,000 meshes, 2% are mesh union flowers, the rest are grass blades)

The heightfields are non-negotiable as I've seen the mediocre results of lower
resolutions from test images.

The birds had light-sources inside their hollow bodies to light up their
eyes--replacing them with "ambient light", or ambient finishes with radiosity,
should help.

I have already toned things down as much as possible (10 birds, 25,000 plants)
but I am still experiencing 2.45 GB peak usage and 1.95 GB steady usage.

What now?

--
David Wallace