POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Human skin : SSS and faking method : Re: Human skin : SSS and faking method Server Time
9 Aug 2024 23:27:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Human skin : SSS and faking method
From: John D  Gwinner
Date: 17 Jan 2005 22:03:52
Message: <41ec7c98$1@news.povray.org>
Rene:

In my (humble) opinion, these look very good, especially considering the
rendering time.

Heck, if source were available, I'd use it!  (imitation and flattery and all
..)

I think one reason that people say that skin is translucent, but then also
say any SSS attempts look too 'waxy' is that there is a huge difference
between real life and photo's, especially computer art.

In real life, I believe our eyes are something like 9kx9k resolution -so any
translucence has a few 'pixels' to show.  It's small, but we see it, so we
know it's there.

When we look at a person in CGI, there aren't nearly enough pixels to show
this, so any SSS *visible* would look like too much.

In any event, my particular use isn't so much close ups, but I am trying to
do a POVComp image with a couple of people on a balcony, high inside a
'bubble city' on Mars.  I was toying with the idea of having a woman
admiring the view, and a man next to her leaning over and 'admiring the
view' (different view <G>).  If I do that, I would realy want a *good*
looking skin shader, and yours comes I think pretty close.  I'm looking at
rendering times of 1+ days at 1600x1200 alone just for my city :( so I need
something fast, I think.

Does it look good in animations, or have you tried that yet?

        == John ==