POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Monopoly Pieces: 1. The Car : Re: Monopoly Pieces: 1. The Car Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Monopoly Pieces: 1. The Car
From: Jim Charter
Date: 16 Jan 2005 10:51:52
Message: <41ea8d98$1@news.povray.org>
Rick Measham wrote:

> My main question is: How do I round off all surfaces? I don't want to remove
> the corners on everything and replace them with a cylinder, and I'm
> guessing there's an easier way.

That is really the only way but there are macros in shapes.inc that will
do it for you for regular primitives.  There is not an easy way to do it
along differenced edges.  Along regular differenced edges such as a
cylinder shape differeced from a plane at a square angle it is still
possible to do something but for more irregular outcomes such as the
edge of you car's cockpit it is very difficult.  You are really on you
own.  Historically, the "purist" solution to this would be by handcoding
bicubic patches or even handcoded smoothed triangles.  With the advent
of free and powerful polygon mesh modellers such as Wings 3D, which
makes edge smoothing trivial, there is less and less use of those
techniques.  But handcoded or csg bevels are still highly regarded in
the shire.  Additionally, mesh cn be handcoded then smoothed or
"subdivided".  ONe relevent link:
http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~xwu/Pov-Sub/.
There may be more I don't know about since I am a Wings 3D
enthusiast.