POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Glass thingy : Re: Glass thingy Server Time
9 Aug 2024 23:30:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glass thingy
From: Ger
Date: 10 Jan 2005 16:40:12
Message: <41e2f63b@news.povray.org>
On Monday 10 January 2005 18:17, Maurice wrote :

> That is a very high count. I'm using default value. I start to
> understand why I don't get caustics

You might want to start way lower to get a basic idea of what is the outcome
is gonna be

> My photons settings:
>    photons {
>    spacing 1/2
> gather 20,100
>    max_trace_level 300
>    jitter 0.4
>    adc_bailout 0.01
>    save_file "newt.photons"
>    }
>
> And radiosity block:
>    radiosity {
>    }

I didn't have radiosity because it tends to wash out a lot of sharp effects

> Mmm that's interesting. My lightsource has no photons attached :-\

As far as I know (but don't hit me over the head if I'm wrong) you need that
to get any caustics effects.

> photons block of the blob:
>    photons{
>      target 0.05
>      refraction on
>      reflection on
>      collect off // **
>    }
>
> Why did you switch on collect? Doesn't that mean that photons are not
> exiting the object after they hit it?

Hmm, don't remember now.

> I'm hoping that won't be the time for my render... Did you render with
> saved photons or calculate the photons dyuring the actual render.

All in 1 go, so no in between saves.

> My idea is now to do as follows:
> 1. Render @ 80x40 with photons, radiosity and lightsource on; save_file
> for photons and radiosity
> 2. Render @ 800x400 with lightsource off and HDR image on, load_file for
> photons and radiosity.
>
> I think I'll also try out what happens if I switch on/off radiosity as
> George Patazopoulos suggested the scene does not need it. I'm not
> convinced but the render results will show.

I sure would switch it off to make the caustics effect more clear

> Bedankt for your help,

Graag gedaan :)
--
Ger