POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP Rain Clouds part 3 74kb : Re: WIP Rain Clouds part 3 74kb Server Time
9 Aug 2024 23:30:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP Rain Clouds part 3 74kb
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 7 Jan 2005 16:17:56
Message: <41defc84$1@news.povray.org>
> Not sure I follow your point; isn't that true for a linear translation as
> well?

It depends entirely on the wind. Generally, wind *never* moves with the same
velocity and in the same direction no matter the altitude. Also, a raincloud
moves further while it drops the rain, so the "youngest" raindrops should be
directly underneath the cloud whereas "older" drops should be were the
raincloud was before. I'm not sure how much increase in speed a raindrop
acquires during the drop, so maybe that can be omitted from the
calculations.

Basically, just add the chaotic nature of, well, nature, and you should get
why rain can't drop in a straight line (at least not diagonally, a straight
drop *might* be possible with no wind at all...).

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>